- 1 pounds firm or extra firm tofu, cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1/2 cup Progresso Italian flavor bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons unrefined oil
- 2-3 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, grated or sliced (or soycheese)
- 1 egg
- In a shallow bowl, scramble egg with a fork.
- Cut tofu and place on paper towels to drain. Place another paper towel on top and press gently to remove excess moisture.
- Dip tofu in egg mixture and then in bread crumbs on both sides.
- Preheat oil in pan, covering bottom of pan with about 1/4″ oil. Make sure oil is hot enough before putting tofu in.
- You can test by sprinkling a little bread crumbs in oil. If it begins to sizzle immediately, oil is ready.
- Place breaded tofu slices in hot oil. Do not overcrowd pan or the oil with cool and the tofu will absorb too much fat.
- The trick to using little oil in frying is the temperature of the oil – must remain consistent.
- Fry tofu in oil until lightly browned. Turn over and repeat.
- Add more oil if you need to.
- Layer tomato sauce on the bottom of a baking pan to the depth of 1/2 inch or so. Place tofu slices on top of sauce side by side. Do not layer.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 15-20 minutes.
Note: Do not use a softer tofu than firm or extra firm. It will have too much water in it and it will not fry well and may possibly fall apart. Serve with a green salad.
Latest posts by Kaitlyn
- Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy? A Holiday Guide to Keep You from Packing on the Pounds - January 22, 2016
- More than a runner’s high; it’s a runner’s therapy - August 30, 2012
- Welcome to Goleta - March 7, 2012