Tofu Parmesan – a recipe from our reader
Thanks to Suzanne Lnadry for this delicious recipe. This is one of her family’s favorite recipes, and even men who say they hate tofu love it!
- 1 pound firm, or extra firm tofu, cut into 1/2 inch sliches
- 1 1/2 cup Progresso Italian flavored bread crumbs<
- 2 tablespoons unrefined oil
- 2-3 cups tomato sauce
- 1 egg
1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, grated or sliced (or soycheese)
- In a shallow bowl, scramble egg with a fork
- Cut tofu and place on paper towels to drain. Place another paper towel on top and press gently to remove excess moisture
- Dip tofu in eggg mixture and then in bread crumbs on both sides
- Preheat oil in pan, covering bottom of pan with about 1/4 inch oil. Make sure oil is hot enough before putting tofu in. You can test the temperature by sprinkling a few bread crumbs into the oil. If it begins to sizzle immediately, oil is ready.
- Place breaded tofu slices in hot oil. Do not overcrowd pan or the oil will cool and the tofu will absorb too much fat. The trick to using little oil in frying is the temperature of the oil – must remain consistent.
- Fry tofu in oil until lightly browned. Turn over and repeat. Add more oil if you need.
- Layer tomato sauce in baking pan to a depth of 1/2 inch or so. Place tofu slices in pan side by side. Do not layer.Layer tomato sauce in baking pan to a depth of 1/2 inch or so. Place tofu slices in pan side by side. Do not layer.
- Sprinkle with mozzerella cheese9. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes
Note: Do not use a softer tofu than firm or extra firm. It will have too much water in it and will not fry well, and possibly fall apart.